Present: Al, Jenny, Natalie, Betsy, Tony, Sarah

No Herons in sight, but lots of other caves on the way there. Once Al remembered the way to the cave (“oh ya, I know where it is”, as we wander aimlessly on the moors).

The Bernies breakfast / hot choc still settling in our tummies we squeeze our way downward and along interesting passages. The air is noticably warmer here, and a thundering sound echos in the distance. Sarah, Betsy and Tony, the “beginners”, made excellent progress. However, the first pitch is quite scary. I didn’t admit it to Sarah, but I’d have been terrified to go first! So I made her go first. She decided to be sensible, along with Jenny so they headed back whilst the rest of us went on to get cold, wet and miserable. 2nd pitch was wetter than the first, then the cave gets progressively more underwater. Betsy braved the elements and went out the exit; Al, Nat and Tony went back up and derigged and took a couple of piccies under the waterfall. Got frozen solid on way to car – and rumors of curry floated in the car as we drove home.

Natalie

PS. Always check that your SRT kit has footloops BEFORE you get to the bottom of the pitch!

Jenny