DURHAM UNIVERSITY SPELEOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
DUSA is a friendly, easy-going club dedicated to caving and mine exploration. We get to see and explore parts of the world that most people never will!
We run day trips most weekends, as well as longer trips during the holidays. We have regular training sessions in Durham, along with visits to the Durham Climbing Centre. All equipment for our trips will be provided for you.
If you are interested but not sure if caving is for you, try it out anyway! Don’t worry if you haven’t done anything similar before – most of our members had never caved before coming to Durham and beginners are always welcome.
If you’d like to get in touch, or keep up to date about upcoming trips and events, check out out Facebook group. You can also see what we’ve been up to on Instagram.
The main activity DUSA does is go on caving trips! We run a variety of trips for complete beginners, experienced cavers, and everything in between. All the equipment you need will be provided for you. Info about upcoming trips will be shared in the Facebook group.
We run training sessions most weeks from Silverlink Bridge in Pelaw Woods. Please feel free to come along!
We practise/teach the rope techniques that you need for vertical caving. Get in touch/check the group chat for more info.
In addition to caving, we organise a variety of socials throughout the year – with bar crawls, ice-skating, or a curry and movie night, you’re bound to have a cracking time! We also have socials at the Victoria Inn at 8pm every Tuesday during term time.
On every caving trip you will need:
- Clothes for the cave – these should be warm and synthetic (not cotton or jeans). Ideally wear fleeces, thermals, leggings, walking trousers etc., something you won’t mind getting ruined
- Wellies – we might be able to lend some
- Spare clothes to wear afterwards
- High-sugar snack e.g. a mars bar
- (Optional) Gloves
- (Optional) Money for food / takeaway
- New to Caving – Good general introduction & safety info
- CNCC – Northern caving and route guides
- CHECC – UK university caving
- Eurospeleo – Other route guides
- UKCaving – Forum for UK Caving
- Peak District Caving – Derbyshire
- British Caving Association