Present: John R, Hannah B, Ian W, Thomas G, Alex D, Zara C, Al C, Bex J, Mssr Carlisle

Trip quote: Ian gives surprisingly good unintentional hand-massage

An awesome trip! Crappy weather during change and walk to cave, excellent weather at end of day. Lovely cave with spectacular pretty bits I wasn’t expecting, and some incredible mud! Faff free day and can’t wait for a pint… Hannah x

Fan-bloody-tastic trip although don’t quite know how we (I mean I) got so dirty. I say this as Bex picks grub out of my ear. Started off early, running away from the prospect of scary new freshers to pick up Ian as he is too lazy to get to DSU (and may I add INCREDIBLY smelly – he took his jacket off, not nice.) Got to Bull Pot Farm early and set off for Mistral. Slow entry at first, followed by crawly bit where I wedged my helmet in a rock and had quite a job getting it out! Lots of exploring in pretty caves and one too many bums thrust in my face. Artistic photography going on from Al.

Zara x

Once we reached the hall of the mountain king (having spent a lot of time whistling the tune) it was every bit as muddy as we were promised. John had a really good hippopotamus wallow in the pool at the bottom. I got scared by the boots of the mud sculpture on the way down AND the way back up again, way too realistic, kept thinking I’d found a dead caver, not reassuring. Zara completely lost her welly, don’t think her sock will ever recover. (She did eventually get the welly back on). Back at the top, after much floundering, we could SCRAPE CHUNKS of mud off John and incidentally, Ian gives surprisingly good unintentional hand-massage when de-mudding hands. Not that you really could de-mud. In fact I’ve just found more round my ear…

Bex

A short poem in German:

Am schluss war alleas voller dreck
Ist das des cavings einz’ger zweck?
Im hölenreich des Mountain King
war dreck, war spass und freude drin.

Thomas

(Transcriber’s note – the original report is decorated with smears of HMK mud, wiped from Al’s face as he nuzzled against the book.)